Posted on: 6 February 2015
You may have a carpet steam cleaner sitting in a closet that you hardly use. Purchasing the special cleaning solution that has to be used with the machine can be expensive, and who wants to run out to buy it every time you want to use the steam cleaner? What if you had the ingredients to make your own cleaning solution already in your very own pantry? See below for instructions on how to make your own cleaning solution for your carpet steam cleaner.
What You'll Need:
- 1 Gallon Water
- 1/4 Cup White Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Bleach-Free Liquid Dish Soap
- A Few Drops Essential Oil (your scent choice, optional)
- Mix the ingredients in the pitcher. The essential oils are to deodorize your carpets with a fresh scent, so choose one that you like if you want to use them.
- Pour the mixture into your cleaning solution reservoir on your steam cleaning machine. Use only the amount your machine requires.
- Clean your carpeting with your steam cleaner as needed for stains.
You may need to pre-treat tougher stains. See below for instructions on how to pre-treat stains with homemade ingredients.
- 2 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide
- 1 oz. Liquid Dish Soap
- 2 Spray Bottles
- Mix your hydrogen peroxide and liquid dish soap in a spray bottle.
- Pour water into the second spray bottle to use for rinsing.
- Spray your stain with the mixture and use a rag to scrub the stain.
- Spray the area with water to try and get as much of the detergent up as possible.
- Use your steam cleaner to get the rest of the stain out of the carpeting using the homemade solution listed above.
These homemade solutions are things most people already have in their cupboards, and are non-toxic to use around your children and pets. These ingredients are also cheaper to purchase than most other carpet cleaning solutions.
If you have some stains that just will not come out, or if your carpeting is looking a little dingy, it may be time to call in a professional. A professional carpet cleaning company has better cleaning equipment to get the job done. Also, a carpet cleaning company can get your carpets cleaned much quicker, as the carpet cleaners they are using are much larger and can easily tackle a big job. Most at-home steam cleaners are for small stains, not really for an entire room.Share